What should I make for dinner tonight? This might just be the number one question that we ask ourselves almost daily over here.
Then you have come to the right place, we have rounded up 21 classic sponge cake recipe that we have shared over the years.
Plus, there is such a variety of flavours in these recipes, so you are sure to find something for you. Most of these recipes are quick and easy ones made especially for busy weeknights.
21 Classic Sponge Cake Recipe
What are the 4 types of sponge cakes?
4 Main Types of Sponge Cakes in Baking
- Torting, ‘wetting’ and filling a White Forrest ‘Sponge’ Cake.
- White Forrest Cake slice.
- Fraisier cake (Image: Renshaw Baking)
- Angel Food Cake.
What ingredient makes cake soft and fluffy?
Whisking butter and sugar together is one essential tip to make the cake spongy, fluffy and moist. Whisk butter and sugar for long until the mixture becomes pale yellow and fluffy because of incorporation of air. The process is known as creaming.
How do you make Jamie Oliver sponge cake?
What is the difference between a regular cake and sponge cake?
Technically any recipe that contains no baking powder or baking soda, but lots of whipped eggs or egg whites is a sponge cake. A traditional sponge cake has just three ingredients: flour, sugar, and eggs. As the name suggests, this cake takes well to being soaked with syrups.
Why is Victoria sponge so called?
The cake’s name should really be The Royal Victoria Sponge, as its name harks back to Queen Victoria herself, who was said to enjoy a slice of the delicious cake with her traditional English afternoon tea. … The initial reason it was distinguished from a simple sponge was due to the invention of baking powder in 1843.
What is the secret to a moist cake?
I promise you SOFT & MOIST cakes!
- Use Cake Flour. Reach for cake flour instead of all-purpose flour. …
- Add Sour Cream. …
- Room Temperature Butter / Don’t Over-Cream. …
- Add a Touch of Baking Powder or Baking Soda. …
- Add Oil. …
- Don’t Over-Mix. …
- Don’t Over-Bake. …
- Brush With Simple Syrup/Other Liquid.
What does milk do in a cake?
Milk is a nutrient-rich white fluid secreted from the mammary glands of female mammals. In baking, it moistens batter or dough, and adds protein, color and flavor to baked goods. The most common form of milk in baking is non-fat dry milk (NFDM), which is dehydrated skim milk.
Why are my cakes dry?
A dry cake is usually the result of one of the following pitfalls: using the wrong ingredients, making mistakes while mixing the batter, or baking the cake too long or at too high a temperature. Once you understand how to avoid the common cake-baking blunders, you’ll bake a moist cake every time.
How can I make my cake fluffier?
7 Secret Tips and Tricks to make a cake fluffy
- Use buttermilk as a substitute. …
- Use oil as a substitute for butter. …
- Beat the eggs slowly. …
- Temperature is the key. …
- Do the sifting. …
- The right time to frost. …
- Let the sugar syrup do the magic.
How long will a Victoria sponge cake with fresh cream last?
Storage. Store a Victoria sponge in an airtight tin for up to three days. If filled with fresh cream, refrigerate.
How do you make Jamie Oliver vanilla cake?
- 250 g unsalted butter (at room temperature) , plus extra for greasing.
- 250 g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting.
- 250 g golden caster sugar.
- 4 large free-range eggs.
- 1 orange.
- a few drops of rosewater.
- 4 tablespoons quality raspberry jam.
- 150 g fresh raspberries.